Database is the storage location for related data. There are different data base management systems (DBMS) available in market. The primary function is to store and retrieve data as requested by other applications running same or remote computer. Most of them have same features. People are confused with what data base management system that they had use. Even the programmer has the same doubt. I wrote this post to help them. I am not indented to mention one is good over other. I just want to specify some of them and to make an awareness of DBMS. It will surely help you to select one DBMS suitable for your project. Popular data base management system includes Mysql, PostgreSql, Oracle, Access, Mssql and IBM DB2.
- MySql : MySq initially known as MySql AB developed by Sun Microsys. Later it merged with oracle system. It is free data base management tool use in web applications and page designing. It can be used for small projects involving three to four member teams. Moreover it is the central component of LAMP.
- PostgreSQL : PostgreSQL or similyPostgre is an object-relational database management system (ORDBMS) developed by PostgreSQL Global Development Group. It is written in C. And available for Windows, Linux and Mac platform. It is released under the PostgreSQL License, which is an MIT-style license, and is thus free and open source software. In most open source operating system it is included. But it is not commonly used in application development.
- Oracle : Oracle is an object-relational database management system manufactured by Oracle Corporation. It is build using both C and C++.It is a payed software that can be used for large projects which need more accurate data storage and custom function processing.
- IBM DB2 : It is another kind of object-relational database management system manufactured by IBM. Its initial version released on 1983. It is written using both C and C++. It is not free software. DB2 can be administered from either the command-line or a GUI. DB2 has APIs for FORTRAN, C++, C, .NET CLI, Java, Python, Perl, PHP, Ruby, and many other programming languages. DB2 also can be integration with Eclipse and Visual Studio. Moreover it has error handling ability.
- Microsoft SQL : It is a relational data base management developed by Microsoft cooperation. It has been build using IA and .NET Framework. You can run it only in windows platform, which was one of the drawbacks. Microsoft had least a dozen different editions of SQL Server aimed at different audiences of different workloads.Its primary query languages are T-SQL and ANSI SQL.
- MS Access : It is also known as Microsoft office access. It is developed by Microsoft. It is included in MS office package. Even it is part of MS office, you can buy it separately. It’s a combination of relational Microsoft Jet Database Engine with a graphical user interface and software-development tools.It can import and directly linking of data stored in other databases, which is one of the greatest advantage.
For better understanding of various features of DBMS tool, I had added a table of comparison below.